Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Great Experience

Throughout my life, I have had my share of ups and downs.  Some memories I cherish, and Some I would like to forget. However, one very memorable moment in my life was going to the New York football Giants' training camp.  Although it was eight years ago, I still remember everything about this trip.


I went up to SUNY Albany to watch my favorite football team prepare for their upcoming season.  Both my mom and friend Ryan were there as well.  As soon as we arrived, we saw thousands of fans eager to enjoy the day.  My main goal of the trip was to get an autograph from Eli Manning.  We lined the fence and saw the players walk on to the field.  When Eli walked out, my heart stopped, and I just looked, I couldn't speak.  My mom spoke up and asked him to autograph the news article I had of him.  He responded with, "Get me after practice." 


Before practice ended, we went back to that same spot and waited anxiously.  I saw Eli getting closer and closer.  Then he walked right past me.  I was so upset.  But luckily my mom said, "Please, you promised."  Eli looked over at me and said,  "Yes, I did".  He walked back to me and signed the newspaper article.  I couldn't believe that I had gotten his autograph.  All I could do was say, "Thank you so much!"


This was certainly one of my most memorable experiences.  As it turns out, the Giants went on to win the Superbowl game that year, beating the "Perfect" Patriots.   I sometimes joke that I led the Giants to that Super Bowl victory. 






Vocabulary:
memorable- can't forget it
upcoming- going to happen soon
eager- excited
autograph- a person's signature
my heart stopped - (idiom) feeling of shock
anxiously- feeling excited and nervous while you wait. 






Vocabulary activity:
memorable _____                                                             a. feeling excited and nervous while you wait
my heart stopped ____                                                      b. can't forget it
upcoming ____                                                                  c. excited
eager ____                                                                         d. a person's signature
anxiously ____                                                                  e. feeling of shock
autograph ___                                                                    f. going to happen soon




Grammar point:
Throughout writing, there is sometimes a remark that an individual made.  If someone writes what someone else said we have to put quotation marks (" ").   This gives the person credit for who said it and gives the reader a better understanding of who said it. 




Grammar activity:
Please come up with your own sentences using the quotes from "A Great Experience" post. 



1 comment: